Blindside invites applications for the 2023 Exhibition Program.
Applications close midnight on Wednesday 26 October 2022.
For our annual open call, Blindside invites proposals from emerging, mid-career and established artists, curators, collectives or collaborators to present solo or group exhibitions, as well as events, performances, screenings and ephemeral projects.
An inclusive space that supports a thriving arts community of emerging and established artists, writers and curators of any age, background or culture, Blindside accepts proposals from local, interstate and international practitioners from any field of creative endeavour that span either one or both gallery spaces.
Thanks to the generous support of the City of Melbourne, as well as the artists, sponsors, and patrons who have supported Blindside through our fundraising initiative, B-SIDE, Blindside will be free to exhibit and artists will continue to receive an exhibition fee.
We know the incredible amount of hard work exhibitions require, and for this reason we provide exhibiting artists and curators support throughout the process.
As part of this commitment all successful new applications will receive:
- A four-week public exhibition in one (or both) of our galleries.
- A project fee for one, or both spaces, the amount of which will be determined.
- Onsite technical assistance for your installation.
- Staff to invigilate the exhibition (Wednesday to Saturday) and for your opening night.
- Promotional support through an e-invitation to our database, social media promotion.
- Support with grant applications for exhibition funding.
- Curatorial and professional development advice.
- Assistance connecting exhibiting artists with writers and curators.
Blindside only accepts support material as an online weblink. Please provide us with one link to a folder containing ALL your support material, with sharing permissions set to anyone with the link can view.
Blindside would prefer your support material to be uploaded via Google Drive, however, will accept similar providing it adheres to these guidelines.
For each application, please provide the following in your folder of support material:
- A one page CV or brief bio for each participating practitioner.
- A document that contains a list or description of each of your linked support material.
- An indicative (hero) image that relates to your exhibition, project or your practice for promotional use.
- Up to 10 images.* Please note that all submitted images may be used for promoting the project (if successful). Please ensure you indicate whether the work is the actual work to be exhibited, or examples of past work.
Optional: audio visual material
- If you need to upload a weblink to audio visual material hosted on an external site such as Vimeo or Soundcloud, please provide this link/s in your support material description document. If your material is password protected, be sure to include passwords in this document.
If your proposal contains both still and moving images please restrict to 6 images and 6 minutes of sound/video.
Please see the application form for more information on file naming, accepted file formats, and sharing permissions.
Blindside is located on the seventh floor of the Nicholas Building, on the corner of Flinders Lane and Swanston Street in Melbourne/ Naarm, Victoria, Australia.
There are two gallery spaces and artists are invited to apply for one or both of these spaces. Gallery One is approximately 40 square metres with a ceiling height of 3.35 metres. Gallery Two is approximately 25 square metres with a ceiling height of 3.35 metres. Walls are MDF and floors are concrete. Both spaces are open to daylight. For detailed measurements please refer to the Gallery Floorplan and Ceiling and Wall Heights.
For more information about exhibiting at Blindside, download the exhibitor kit.
Blindside gratefully acknowledges the support of the City of Melbourne through its Arts and Culture Triennial Program.
Application processes can be inflexible and may not be accessible to everybody. Blindside offers advice regarding application development and is open to alternative ways of applying. If this sounds like you please get in touch by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.